Sunday, September 19, 2010

Simplified Pollo en Pipián Verde (Chicken in Pumpkin Seed Sauce)

Every once in a while I just pick up recipes from random sources on the Internet, copy them to my "Recipes" folder, then forget about them until one day I decide I want to try cooking something new. This is one of those times.

I know next to nothing about Mexican dishes -- they are more Esteban's thing than mine -- but a quick Google search reveals that Pollo en Pipián Verde translates to "Chicken in Green Sauce," which is certainly to the point. If you're a gourmet with some time on your hands, you could take the time to scrounge together the 15 or so ingredients you need to prepare the dish from scratch; if you're a busy/lazy adult who needs something quick and easy to prepare for a weeknight dinner, however, this recipe is for you. All you need is some chicken thighs, pre-made salsa verde, pumpkin seeds, and a pair of zucchinis, give or take a few spices.

Beware, however: salsa verde comes hot. I grabbed a bottle that was rated "medium" and my sauce came out a bit too spicy for my and my parents' liking (even if they were quick to qualify that it still tasted delicious). Granted, I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to hot peppers, but I tend to find that when my mouth feels like it's on fire the sensation completely overrides the other flavors of a given dish -- and this is undesirable. I'd recommend you find a "mild" variant of the salsa, if at all possible... but perhaps you can handle the heat better than me and my family! 

Recipe after the jump:



SIMPLIFIED POLLO EN PIPIÁN VERDE
 serves 4
  • 1/3 cup raw pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 clove
  • 2 peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds

  • 1 lb chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1" pieces
  • 2 medium-sized zucchinis, cubed into 1/2" pieces (or other kind of thin-skinned squash)
  • 3 cups salsa verde
  • olive oil
  • fresh chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese for garnish (crumbled parmesan can be substituted)

  • cooked long grain rice 

In a large, high-sided skillet, cook the pepitas, sesame seeds, clove, peppercorns, and cumin seeds at medium heat -- stirring frequently to avoid burning --  until lightly toasted and the pepitas begin to pop. Let cool, transfer to a spice grinder or food processor, and grind down to a fine powder. Set aside.

In the same skillet, add about two tsp olive oil until hot but not smoking, then stir in the salsa verde. Let this heat up for a few minutes. Add the chicken and zucchini, bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, then cook over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through and zucchini is "al dente" (about ten minutes). Fold in the pepita and spice mixture and mix thoroughly. If the sauce seems a bit too thick, stir in some water.

Serve over rice, garnished with cilantro and cotija cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment