Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving at Chez Fenson

I can play the slideshow game too!

Thanksgiving is perhaps my favorite holiday ever.  As my sister put it, it's the one day of the year when we, as Jews, can be pretty sure we're doing exactly the same thing as the rest of the country.  It's a day of humility and gratitude, sleep, family time, and lots of delicious food.  What's not to love?

This year we had an intimate nine-person evening.  For the past few years, my sister and I have been in charge of planning and cooking the Thanksgiving meal, with my mom as sous chef and advisor.  Because there are always several vegetarians at my family's Thanksgiving table, we always make a meatless spread (except for the turkey, of course).  But that doesn't mean our Thanksgivings aren't flavorful, vibrant, and joyous.  In fact--well, see for yourself.

We bought root vegetables at the farmer's market, including a trio of beautiful purple turnips.  When I cut into them, I was stunned at their rich, jewel-tone intensity.  The slices looked like psychedelic tree rings.

I roasted the veggies with olive oil, salt, and whole garlic cloves.  I was planning on pureeing them, but then everyone kept stealing pieces straight off the baking sheets while they were cooling.  So I decided to leave them be.

Cucumber salad with red onion, orange juice and fresh dill.

My mom's egg barley--a family tradition.

Oven-roasted potatoes with onion and rosemary.

Cranberry-pear stuffing with wild rice and apple cider.  Yes, it's as delicious as it sounds.

Mushroom gravy.  I love this stuff--for my money, it's even better than pan-dripping gravy.

Plus, I missed getting photos of our mulled cider, my mom's homemade rosemary bread, and the best cranberry sauce you'll ever taste (recipe below).  Have I mentioned I love this holiday?

Cranberry Relish with Quick-Candied Orange Peel and Mint
  • 4 oranges
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (outer layer only) from 2 oranges in strips. Cut peel into 2-inch-long, 1/8-inch-wide strips (about 1/2 cup). Squeeze 1 cup juice from fruit.  Stir 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add orange peel; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until peel is soft, about 15 minutes. Add orange juice and cranberries; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until berries burst, about 10 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl. Stir in mint. Cover; chill until cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment