Thursday, November 1, 2012

Frozen Deliciousness

Long time, no post! I just had to share these because they are too, too good not too.

Z and I recently came into a gelato (slash sorbet, slash ice cream) maker, which is my new favorite thing, and I have been experimenting with lots of yummy combos. Here are my favorites so far, if you are lucky enough to have the right machinery (if not, I highly recommend one)!

SANGRIA SORBET

Ingredients:
12 oz. bag frozen mixed berries
2 black or red plums, silced
1/3 cup sugar
splash vanilla extract
1/4 cup brandy (or triple sec)
1 cups red wine (they suggest Zinf or Pinor Noir)
2/3 cup OJ
1 naval orange, sliced into rounds

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat berries, plums, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, until fruit is fully thawed and sugar is syrupy. Stir in brandy/triple sec and transfer mixture to a pitcher or bowl. Stir in wine, OJ, and orange slices. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or, better, overnight.

Strain fruit from sangria, discard oranges, and puree remaining fruit in blender until smooth. Press puree through a very fine mesh sieve into wine. Stir together and churn in machine until thick and slushy (our took like 45-60 minutes). Freeze 4-5 hours. 

BASIL PEAR SORBET

Ingredients:
1 cup pear pulp*
Tons of fresh basil (I think I used 1/2 a cup), chiffoned VERY thin
6 tablespoons lemon juice (I did a little lemon-lime mix, which was good)
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat sugar and half of the water (3/4 cup) in a small saucepan with the chiffoned basil. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring regularly. Allow basil to steep in sugar for 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly and covering in between. Place sugar in cup or bowl and cool in fridge COMPLETELY.

Blend (in a blender on "smoothie" or a similar setting) pear pulp, remaining water (3/4 cup), lemon juice, and basil syrup, adding as much/as little of the fresh basil as you desire (i added like 2/3 because I love basil; my roommate thought there was a smidge too much, while I thought there was not enough! So your call). Add blended liquid to ice cream machine; churn for about 30-40 minutes until thick and slushy. Cool for a couple hours.

*I used about 1 1/2 green d'anjou pears. Peel off the skin, cut into small chunks, and puree in the blender.

ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment