Sunday, January 16, 2011

Beginnings

Hello Lord Jeff Cooks!

No recipe for you today, I'm sorry, as I've been cut-off from a kitchen during my thesis travels.  I've also been eating many various spicy, mushy, curry, creamy things whose names and ingredients I cannot hope to begin to identify for you; I remember my friends and I being reduced to calling them "The Orange One with the Chick Peas" or "The Green One with the Paneer" or "The Yellow One with the Weird Chunky Stuff" etc. etc.

Subsequently, I found myself on smittenkitchen.com this morning (quite possibly my favorite food website, both for the fantastic photos and the incredible recipes; it is the origin of the to-die-for Thanksgiving Sweet Potatoes!) drooling -- almost literally -- over various yummy recipes.  Pizza with Bacon, Onions and Cream.  Skirt Steak Salad with Blue Cheese.  Raspberry Brown Sugar Gratin.  Blue Cheese and Red Potato Tart.  Vanilla Roasted Pears.  To name a few.  I think I finally stopped somewhere around page 35; my bookmark button was exhausted.

At one point I ran into a recipe for an apple scone, which got me to thinking about these incredible apple scones I made when I was probably about 14 (I think it was the summer before I started high school.)  And then I got sad because I realized that while those scones were seriously good, I have no idea where the recipe was from or where it's gone.  And this got me to thinking about how I started cooking -- baking, actually, the cooking came later -- in the first place.  And finally, it made me want to know everyone else's stories.

So how about it, Lord Jeffsters?  And blog-readers!! When did the cooking bug bite you?  Did you have a gateway recipe?  Was it that semester where the choices were cook or starve?  Was it a parent or a friend?  Tell us your story!

(Mine continues after the jump)
I grew up in a cooking family; my mother is a wonderful cook, one uncle owned his own restaurant, and a third (who lived in New York) seemed, to me, to be the most outrageously talented chef imaginable.  I remember one night this second uncle had come to visit us and he and my mother took over the kitchen.  They called themselves the Two Green Peppers, or something close to that, copycatting the then-popular cooking show The Too Hot Tamales.

I've always found it a little odd, then, that my love of the kitchen sprouted not from being with family but actually from solitude.  The Easy Bake Oven I got for Christmas as a little girl probably planted the seed, but everything flourished that one summer.  I was home alone a lot; my sister was at a summer camp or something like that, Dad was at work, Mom was always busy, and I was left at home to my own devices.  Bored, and often craving a baked good, I decided to start going on the internet to find baking recipes I thought sounded good.  Because the baking supplies in my kitchen were a tad limited, this was also the summer I learned how to experiment with my baking.  I made the apple scones, various cookies, a cake that I remember tasted ok, not great.  This was also the summer I discovered my signature top-secret gingerbread molasses cookie recipe.  Since then, I've always loved to bake and, as I got older, cook.

So that's my story.  What's yours?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, Emily! I love hearing stories like this.

    I caught the cooking bug when my mother taught me how to make vinaigrettes for our family's weeknight dinner salads. In fact, conveniently enough, I just wrote a post about this over on my new blog (http://ieatthepeach.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/salad-days/).

    Shameless self-promotion aside, I can remember the exact day I first made salad dressing. It turned out really tasty, and everyone in my family loved it, and oohed and ahhed over it, and I remember thinking, "You know, I could actually be good at this." And the rest, as they say, is histoire.

    (Also, apparently Blogger doesn't want to let me edit my comments. Sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't cooked a single thing until I studied abroad at 20 years of age. Seriously, I didn't even know how to prepare scrambled eggs, I was that bad. (I kept asking my mom to teach me how to do SOMETHING, but she always forgot.)

    When I went to Edinburgh I had the chance to either a) live in a sheltered American enclave with a dining hall that everyone said was terrible or b) live with a bunch of locals in a student flat, but have to cook my own food. As I wanted to have a more "authentic" abroad experience and live independently and blah blah blah, I took the flat. My mom bought me a "Cooking for Dummies: College Edition" (which, among other things, featured prominently recipes that only required a microwave, rice cooker, and/or hot pot) and I was off to the races.

    I basically taught myself how to cook, with the help of Youtube and ehow.com. And I discovered that I actually kinda liked it!

    ReplyDelete