Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fillet of Sole stuffed with Shrimp and Mushrooms

Hello Amherst foodies!

If you don't know or remember me, my name is Zach and I graduated from Amherst in 2009. My cooking style is pretty much self-taught, drawing occasional insights and techniques from the internet, my mother, my girlfriend, and other sources. I tend to gravitate towards lean meats, fish, and pastas, because these seem to be the types of dishes that I cook best. Since my year teaching abroad in Turkey I've also added some Near Eastern, Middle Eastern, and Greek-ish recipes to my repertoire, so you can also look forward to seeing a few of those in my corner of the blog.

I've already posted this particular dish on planworld and my personal blog, but I'm sharing it again here for good reason: it's really, really delicious. You can substitute nearly any type of white fish for the sole, and the sauce works perfectly well in other dishes without the shrimp/mushroom stuffing. The cheese topping might run counter to some deeply ingrained culinary sensibilities (Italians, I'm looking at you), but I recommend that you give it a try even if you're skeptical.

This one's one of my favorites and I hope you like it too! Recipe after the jump:

Shrimp Stuffed Fillet of Sole [Serves 6]

  • 2 tbsp minced shallots or 2 tbsp minced scallions
  • ¼ c butter
  • ½ lb sliced mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  • ½ lb small cooked shrimp, cleaned, chopped if needed
  • 6 Sole fillets
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 c dry white wine
  • ½ c whipping cream or ½ c half and half
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp Brandy
  • ½ c grated Swiss cheese

Cook shallots or scallions in 2 tbsp butter until clear. Add mushrooms; cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add parsley and shrimp.

Preheat oven to 400°. Place about 2 tbsp shrimp stuffing on large end of each fish fillet. Roll up fillets; secure with toothpicks. Place in greased 12X8X2" dish.

In saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour. Add white wine, cook, stirring, over medium heat, until sauce thickens. Add cream or half and half, salt, and brandy. Add any remaining stuffing to sauce. Pour sauce over fillets; bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly.

Sprinkle with cheese and run under broiler to melt; serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment